Safeguarding and Redress
St John of God
The Hospitaller Brothers of St John of God are committed to fostering a culture of safety and care for children and vulnerable adults. Read more…
We have adopted the Australian National Catholic Professional Standards for Safeguarding children and vulnerable people. The standards and further information on the work of Catholic Professional Standards Ltd can be found on their website at https://www.cpsltd.org.au/ or by calling 1300 603 411.
Our commitment extends to cooperating fully with authorities in the investigation of abuse, no matter where or when it may have occurred.
We strongly urge any person who has experienced abuse to contact their local police and report it so that it can be appropriately investigated.
If anyone wishes to bring a complaint of abuse against any Brother or member of staff of a school or other ministry operated by the Brothers, they may do so in either of the following ways:
1. If the complaint relates to abuse of a child or young person, contact the police or relevant authority in your state. For urgent matters where a child is at risk of harm, contact the Police emergency number – 000 (all states).
2. Contact the St John of God Brothers’ Professional Standards Office here.
The National Redress Scheme is an independent process that provides survivors of institutional child sexual abuse with access to a direct personal response from participating institutions. This includes an apology, as well as counselling and monetary payments.
The Hospitaller Brothers of St John of God are a participating institution in the Scheme. This means any person who has experienced abuse in any of our facilities and associated institutions can have their claim assessed through the Scheme.
Under the rules of the Scheme, applications must be made directly to the National Redress Scheme itself. The St John of God Brothers are unable to accept any application. Information about the National Redress Scheme, how to make an application, and how to access free support services can be found on their website www.nationalredress.gov.au, or by calling 1800 737 177.
Australian Catholic Safeguarding Ltd
National Committee for Professional Standards
- Integrity in the Service of the Church – Sept 2011 – PDF download
- Towards Healing – Jan 2010 – PDF download
- Integrity in Ministry – Jun 2003 – PDF download
Truth Justice Healing Council
- Guidelines for Church Authorities in Responding to Civil Claims for Child Sexual Abuse – Nov 2015 – PDF download
- Guidelines For Responding To Requests From Survivors Of Child Sexual Abuse Whose Claims Have Been Subject To Settlements – Nov 2014 – PDF download
National Office of Professional Standards
The Catholic Church has established a new company to oversee all safeguarding, child protection and professional standards in Australia, creating a more focused and streamlined model. Link: ...
The need to build safe environments for children and adults at risk continues as a 365 day a year priority for CPSL and Church communities across the country, and this year's annual report shows the ways that we have collectively worked to ensure that we remain...
The National Day of Sorrow and Promise is in its third year and will be held on Sunday 25 October 2020. The National Day of Sorrow and Promise emerged to acknowledge survivors of abuse within the Catholic Church and all those who have been hurt by that abuse....