Safeguarding and Redress
St John of God
The Hospitaller Brothers of St John of God are committed to fostering a culture of safety and care for children and vulnerable adults. Read more…
We have adopted the Australian National Catholic Professional Standards for Safeguarding children and vulnerable people. The standards and further information on the work of Catholic Professional Standards Ltd can be found on their website at https://www.cpsltd.org.au/ or by calling 1300 603 411.
Our commitment extends to cooperating fully with authorities in the investigation of abuse, no matter where or when it may have occurred.
We strongly urge any person who has experienced abuse to contact their local police and report it so that it can be appropriately investigated.
If anyone wishes to bring a complaint of abuse against any Brother or member of staff of a school or other ministry operated by the Brothers, they may do so in either of the following ways:
1. If the complaint relates to abuse of a child or young person, contact the police or relevant authority in your state. For urgent matters where a child is at risk of harm, contact the Police emergency number – 000 (all states).
2. Contact the St John Brothers’ Professional Standards Office via email at email@example.com
The National Redress Scheme is an independent process that provides survivors of institutional child sexual abuse with access to a direct personal response from participating institutions. This includes an apology, as well as counselling and monetary payments.
The Hospitaller Brothers of St John of God are a participating institution in the Scheme. This means any person who has experienced abuse in any of our facilities and associated institutions can have their claim assessed through the Scheme.
Under the rules of the Scheme, applications must be made directly to the National Redress Scheme itself. The St John of God Brothers are unable to accept any application. Information about the National Redress Scheme, how to make an application, and how to access free support services can be found on their website www.nationalredress.gov.au, or by calling 1800 737 177.
- Safeguarding Policy – June 2021 – PDF download
- Risk Management Strategy – June 2021 – PDF download
- Complaint Handling Policy – June 2021 – PDF download
- Code of Conduct – June 2021 – PDF Download
Australian Catholic Safeguarding Ltd
National Committee for Professional Standards
- Integrity in the Service of the Church – Sept 2011 – PDF download
- Towards Healing – Jan 2010 – PDF download
- Integrity in Ministry – Jun 2003 – PDF download
Truth Justice Healing Council
- Guidelines for Church Authorities in Responding to Civil Claims for Child Sexual Abuse – Nov 2015 – PDF download
- Guidelines For Responding To Requests From Survivors Of Child Sexual Abuse Whose Claims Have Been Subject To Settlements – Nov 2014 – PDF download
National Office of Professional Standards
Professional Standards Office
The Professional Standards Office of the Brothers of Saint John of God is located in Sydney and can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
New Zealand Abuse in Care Inquiry
The Brothers of St John of God have welcomed, and co-operated with the New Zealand Abuse in Care Inquiry. Br Timothy Graham appeared by video link to give evidence in the hearing into the abuse experienced at the Marylands school under the care of the Brothers from...
National groups welcome new CEO of Catholic Safeguarding body
The three member organisations of Australian Catholic Safeguarding Limited have welcomed the appointment of Ursula Stephens as the chief executive officer of the recently-formed company....
Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors launches new website
The Commission, created in 2013, serves as an advisory body to the Holy Father for the protection of minors and vulnerable adults. The Commission has this year launched a new website and digital platform with a range of features to serve a global audience. Visit the...